Friday, October 17, 2008

Apartment Hunting

There's a housing shortage in Zurich. I got a little first-hand experience with this cold, hard fact when I "arranged" to go view one I found online that looked pretty good. It was on the river, in an okay part of town (by no means central) with pretty average rent for Zurich... more than we wanted to pay. It was about 2,500 fr./month which is about $2200! It is pretty crazy how expensive it is to live here. Unfurnished. 6th Floor with no elevator. 1 bedroom.

I show up................................ along with at least (literally) 50 other people. It was elbow to elbow in there, and people were totally jazzed about what a great place it was. Not being able to speak the language and ask any questions, combined with the fact that it took me and my continually expanding baby bump 15 minutes to walk up the 6 flights of stairs made it a pretty easy decision. We'll keep looking.

2 comments:

Rebecca Faulkner said...

That is sick! Keep in mind, we have plenty of room in Charlotte...long distance relationships are in these days ;)

Tom said...

Sounds like Manhattan standards :)