It's been awhile and my mom is starting to get lippy with me about me not updating this. (I love you mom!) Things are going great! For starters, Obama won - so yeah, we'll probably come home in 2 years afterall.
It snowed really hard here last week and we got a few inches... it was so beautiful! I wish I would have taken some pictures. I'm sure there will be many other opportunities........... many, many, many, many others. It is soooooooooo cold. Which is unfortunate because I really have very few clothes that still fit. I have to invent all kinds of new ways of bundling up which usually leaves me looking like I blindfolded myself and jumped in a Goodwill bin, rolled around until some clothes wiggled onto me and called it good.
Last night Eric and I attended a childbirth preparation class at the Hospital where we will be having the baby. It seemed very informative. Couples were nodding at each other in agreement after the doctor said something with an encouraging expression. Husbands were laughing at the nurses jokes as wives lovingly shook their heads in mock disapproval. People were voraciously scribbling notes when the doctor took a more serious tone. Eric and I were playing thumb wars under the table because it was all in German and we couldn't understand shit.
Everyday I discover new things about Switzerland that make me close my eyes and reflect in wondrous awe... "wtf"? I guess it's not that weird to buy horse at the supermarket in the rest of the world. It took me by surprise when I was putting some stew meat in my shopping basket and I noticed a little, tiny cartoon horse in the very bottom corner of the package. We're from Southern Oregon... more specifically, Eric is from Azalea... so it's like mandatory to eat meat with every meal. We've been here for a month now and while I can't say for sure how many times we've eaten horse, I'm pretty sure it's happened. Almost positive it was horse when I made some funny tasting hamburgers our first week. Now I pay close attention to all of the cartoon animals on meat packages. Ostrich, bunnies, goats, and one that has a wild boar, a deer, and an elk all huddled together under a tree. I've gone ahead and named that one "the huntsman's grab-bag".
Another exciting development that my new friend from Ireland made me privy to was that some channels have this "dual language function" some of the time on some of their shows where you can turn off the German dubbing and watch in English. We figured it out and have gotten to watch movies like Something About Mary and Old School and shows like House and CSI. But there's a very dark and sinister side to this new luxury. Out of desperation for english-speaking entertainment, we watched......................... Beethoven's 5th. As in part 5 of that movie about a big, quirky yet lovable St. Bernard and all of the hijinx he can get into in an hour and a half. The whole thing. After that movie we both left the room and couldn't make eye-contact for a few hours because we were so ashamed.
Welp, now that you know all of that, I'll be on my way. :)
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Okay, I finally figured out how to post a comment, during which time Charity and I watched every show of every season of House up to the present. We'll probably wait until it becomes available on DVD to catch up. I love that show. Dr. House is a cynical amoral jerk with one redeeming quality, He saves lives. Otherwise being an evil genius who uses his cronies to break into people's houses, and who also violates hospital protocol does not merit much respect.
Have you considered getting a DVD. I sure that you can find a source that can provide an abundance of titles that suit you.
Horsemeat. Ah yes, the eclectic diet of the germanic race; hamster being preferable to rat I presume. One must be very careful as an expectant mother to provide a proper diet to the expectant child.
Seriously, Bryn, I hope and pray that you and Eric are blessed with the beautiful child that I feel you deserve. I am curious if the ultrasound reveals the gender of the child yet. As a future grandfather I might be most happy if you had twins.
I just have to make a post because the word verification is "unlov". Yikes.
Scheize is german for shit. A good start if you don't know any german at all. I' m going to purchase "Rosetta Stone" with the intention of perfecting my french, perhaps to get a degree. I was only eighteen hours short of one when I quit, and moved to California. What I plan to do is present myself to the french department at OSU, and challenge for a degree.
Post a Comment